Re: Questions about ICMP

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

So... am I to read this as it is a good idea to disable all icmp
requests?  I get a LOT of ICMP requests from the Internet probing
at my ports, which are disabled.  This is a good idea?

That's impossible. UDP ports can only be tested by UDP packets, and TCP ports can only be tested by TCP packets. ICMP is a different IP protocol which doesn't feature numbered ports. As such, blocking ICMP won't prevent port scans, it'll just prevent some of your own outbound connections from working properly.