Re: Install F8 from a mounted pen drive

2007/12/1, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Clodoaldo wrote:
> > I want to install F8. I can't burn a CD.
> >
> > I have a FC6 rescue CD from which I can boot. I tried to install
> > booting from the FC6 rescue CD and then from a HTTP mirror but the
> > installation stops with a message that says something like "the
> > install media version is different from the version you want to
> > install".
> >
> That is understandable. The CD and the URL need to be from the same
> version.
>
> > I have already installed from a pen drive a number of times but this
> > machine can't boot from the pen drive.
> >
> > Booting from the FC6 rescue CD I can mount the pen drive which has the
> > diskboot.img file wrote with dd as I already did sometimes. Is it
> > possible to continue from here, with the mounted pen drive?
> >
> You might be better off burning the boot.iso from the DVD image and
> proceeding from there.

I can't burn it. My CD burner is broken and right now I don't have
access to another one.

I have tried to boot the pen drive kernel using grub but there is a
problem. This is what i did:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda1
initrd /initrd
error 28:selected item cannot fit into memory.

How to avoid this error?

I have read somewhere that it is not possible to do it when grub is
running under a kernel. If it is true then how to get to grub without

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto