Re: Freeze / lockup when starting X with Radeon 7500 - freshly installed F8

Juergen Botz wrote:
I just did a fresh install of F8 on a system with an old
ATI Radeon 7500 (AGP) board, and the system freezes when starting X. The xorg.conf is just the basic one that the install generated... it had the 'radeon' driver for device, but I also tried putting 'ati' with the same result. Putting 'vesa' as the device works fine.

The freeze is a hard lockup, i.e. the system no longer
responds to pings from the outside.

Other system info:
   CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
   MB:  Asus A7V8X (Via KT400/KT600 based)
   RAM: 1.5GB

What can I do to fix or further diagnose this?

TIA, :j

What happens if you use no xorg.conf and start X? It will use internal to the server values.

Regarding the hard lock, I had this problem with some radeon 7000 series Graphics card many Fedora versions back. I ended up giving away the card. You might need to use the binary version instead of the one provided by X. Adding reference to Radeon in subject.

--
It is only people of small moral stature who have to stand on their dignity.