Re: insert file?

On Nov 28, 2007 1:00 PM, adrian kok <adriankok2000@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you
>
> Additional question.
>
> When I have error in the console, but can't get from
> the log
>
> Can I capture an error to insert the file, no need to
> re-type it?
>
> Thank you

You can redirect errors using 2>.  If you want to append, then 2>>.

For example if you did the ls command below of a directory that had
files one.txt, two.txt and three.txt:

ls one.txt two.ttx three.txt

you will get an error for two.ttx.

You can redirect that using 2>
ls one.txt two.ttx three.txt 2>/dev/null
will redirect errors to /dev/null while stdout will still display to the screen.

ls one.txt two.ttx three.txt 2>lserrors.txt
will redirect errors to the file lserrors.txt while stdout will still
display to the screen.

ls one.txt two.ttx three.txt >goodfiles.txt 2>lserrors.txt
will redirect the errors to lserror.txt and will redirect the
successful part of the command to goodfiles.txt therefore you will
have no output to stdout.

Jacques B.