Re: Fedora 8 64 bit DVD upgrade problem

Jim Duda escribió:
Martin,

I purchased a Compaq Presario F527US a couple of months ago and installed FC7 on it. It worked fine for about a month, then things
went downhill.  The machine started to have problems booting, many
times the computer would hang, and I had to e2fsck the disk many times
after it did finally boot.

Problems with the disks, at least it looks like.

I struggled with Compaq support to convince them that there was a hardware issue. They didn't want to honor the warranty because I installed linux on the computer, they were convince it was a linux issue. I finally won the battle after I convinced them that windows vista was having issues too.

Yeah. The problem is that all well known laptop sellers don't mind in supporting linux, and so when you have a problem, they blame the OS, because it's easier.

The thing is that they can't blame the OS that they sold you. ;-)

Anyways, I was hoping you could share your experience with the Compaq Presario F500. Is it working okay for you with FC7?

Excellent so far!

The only trouble is with 3D stuff (google earth hangs the laptop, same for GL screensavers), but I'm blaming the NVidia driver on that.

I found I had to use the following kernel boot options to get it to work well:

irqpoll noapic

Do you have to use similiar kernel boot optoins?

No, but I check this latter.

I appreciate any insight you can offer as I hope to get my presario repaired and working with linux again. I really like the laptop, works great with linux (not so much with vista).

Vista is a hog! I really couldn't believe how slow it was on a brand new laptop.