Re: pulseaudio == disaster ??

On Nov 16, 2007 3:49 PM, David A. De Graaf <dad@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When gnome isn't used, pulseaudio must be started some other way.
> 'pulseaudio --help' - the only available documentation - suggests the
> proper command is:
>     pulseaudio -D --system --log-level=syslog
> however, as Kelly Miller has pointed out, the --system option
> guarantees that startup will fail.
>
> This is a fundamental flaw.
>
> The only command that succeeds is
>     pulseaudio -D --log-level=syslog
> and only if run by root.

Well ... the command that is run on a properly functioning pulseaudio setup is:
/usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog

and this is run by each user that is logged in.
Where this is normally started up, I have no idea ... but I am still
looking. But this is the proper command that should be run ... not the
ones that you were using.

Making sure you have this running in your session
pactl load-module module-x11-xsmp

and you should be most of the way there.
/Mike