Re: Fedora lifetime and stability

As for a long life (if you can call it that) OS, you should use Windows! ><
>> as for whom don't understand, this was a little joke

As an experimenting expired teenager (21) I've been using Linux for about 5 years now.
@ first, I just downloaded like all kinds of linux (an installed them ALL!!!), i have to admit, I have to admit, i had a lot of time back those days.
After 2 years I had FC5 and Suse 9.xx running. I got frustrated when Suse 10.xx introduced the supersize-me menu. (and now Vista did the same!) :(
As I saw Fedora move on, the way I liked the gui, I started to use it on both machines.
Now I invested a lot of money on books and stuff for fedora and installed even my homebrew server based on fedora. (even if it's not the most stable os)
I spend a lot of time in the dark, searching for random stuff, like how to get my asus usb-modem to work, tweak the os for my needs, install games, etc..

Now this is WHY I use Fedora.
I just love to be in that dark room, spending time @ flashing console screens, lovely man-pages and other -at-the-end- useless stuff.
If I hated the upgrading, the solving, the tweaking, etc... I'd use RHEL , CentOS or mac.

I guess it all starts at the point where you have too choose your flavour of OS.

My opinion is that Fedora is, for me, the best OS EVER! (for now) :) ;)
It feels like a toboggan. You have to klimb the stairs, get the ride of your life, and have to klimb them again to do it over and over and over and ...

2007/11/13, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 18:22 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> But just to recompile a new version of an application like sendmail,
> or a new firefox version, or similar is practical. That is assuming
> the infrastructure is in place, as it was for Fedora Legacy.

This is about where I expected someone to say, "if Fedora used external
packages as they were, rather than customising them for Fedora, users
could simply recompile the latest source, themselves, and it'd work."

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5.  Today, it's FC7.

I read messages from the public lists.