Re: Fedora 8

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 11:49 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     Anaconda found that my computer has a Nvidia VGA hardware and even
> called it the right model! I was happy and hoped it would carry on but
> when I rebooted it has the same 800X600 off center x-windows that it had
> with F7 when it was new. So it seems there has been no work on setting
> up a new version of Fedora capable of working with Nvidia hardware. That
> will be my bug.

A. Fedora (and/or X.org) cannot be held responsible for a semi-working
driver. At least as long nVidia is refusing the release the required
spec of nVidia chipset. Blame nVidia instead. (Yes, I know that nVidia
is helping the 2D driver... but this is far from being sufficient.
Sorry)
B. ... Even if Fedora and/or do anything about a semi-working driver,
unless you take the time to report the problem (with exact model
numbers, configuration, etc), it will not be fixed.
C. Having persistent (-unreported-) bugs doesn't mean "no work is being
done"... In most cases it means: "We are not aware of the problem or
have insufficient data to solve it". Xorg and Fedora developers are no
psychic.

... In short, you can either (A) bitch and moan, or (B) you can help
Fedora solve your problem (Filing a bug report, complete with
machine/Xorg/etc configuration, etc).
In case you're wondering, posting a message in fedora-users (without any
meaningful information) is option A.

- Gilboa