Re: Fedora+KVM, any docs showing networking ?

Naoki wrote:
I'm a tad stuck here, looking for help.. Do any Fedora users out there have pointers to Fedora specific docs (examples?) on KVM and networking ? I'm F8 but will take F7 docs.

My situation..

I have a KVM'ed OS that cannot communicate with the outside world, I understand this is because unlike Xen, KVM does not automatically configure 'bridge networking'.

None of the Fedora docs (including beats) show any references to setting up KVM networking and simple list "use qemu-kvm".
Upon running 'qemu-kvm' it complains with :

open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support

That's easy, after you
  modprobe -v kvm-intel
you will have /dev/kvm. You can then give yourself rwx permissions by group, or whatever. I am in root group, so I just
  chmod g+rwx /dev/kvm
to get it done. Some of the docs claim selinux has to be disabled, I'm not willing to do that (yet) as all the non-networked stuff works just fine as is. I build software under BSD, run Windows applications, etc. But the network stuff doesn't want to work, even when I create a bridge, etc.

And when I attempt to load my network device as a bridge device I get :

Bringing up interface eth0:  Bridge support not available in this kernel

So I'm referring to the qemu docs for help but so far I'm finding Ubuntu specific docs and I'd rather like to get this working sooner rather than later.

There is bridge module and utility stuff to download, the machine on which I did it is offline (and FC6) at the moment, so I can't give details.

I never did get kvm working for network access, and I'd rather use it than xen if I could, so if you get it done a one screen howto would be useful. There's some stuff I pulled off virtual.org (from memory)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>