Re: Fedora lifetime and stability

Serguei Miridonov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some remarks about Fedora lifetime and stability which
> are very important for general users. Now and in the past
> there were some issues with Fedora upgrades which turned life
> into nightmare when instead of doing normal work users had to
> fight with bugs, sending reports, waiting fixes, etc.
>
> I think that it might be a good idea to increase the time
> between Fedora releases and/or make the lifetime of every
> release at least 2-3 years.
>
> However, before starting a discussion about this I would like
> to ask, if this topic was discussed earlier. I'm sure it was
> but can somebody point me any deep analysis which really
> proves that current one year lifetime and half-year release
> period is the best for Fedora?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Serguei.

Here is a section of a post on Fedora Philosophy:

The Fedora project does not pretend to be *production server*
centric. It does not even pretend to be *production server*
friendly. The personality of the Fedora project is fast paced,
(b)leading edge, leaving the past behind quickly. It is a great
proving ground or test bed for current technologies. It is fun. It
will never have the stability or extended support that a server
class distribution does.

What you are asking for does not meet the Fedora Philosophy. There
are distributions that do match your requirements, and you would be
better severed by switching to one of these, instead of trying to
change Fedora to be just like the other distributions. If you are
using Fedora on production machine, you are using the wrong tool for
the job. Yes, it can be used that way, but Centos would probably be
a better choice. It already has the features you are looking for,
and is a RedHat based distribution. One analogy would be trying to
pry something open. You can use a screwdriver or a prybar. They both
may work, but the prybar is usually the better choice. But if you
want to install/remove a screw, the screwdriver is usually the
better choice. There is a need for both, but each one has a job that
it is designed for, and is better suited for.

Mikkel