Re: [Fedora] Re: Semi OT: Subversion

> Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> What you really want is to have everyone who makes changes use their
> >> own working copy (and perhaps their own test server to view it).
> >    At the moment, that's kinda what's setup.  They have their own local
> > copy that they work on.  When they're ready, they check in their new
> > code to our test server which we then look at and see what works and
> > doesn't.  And only when we approve it, it gets pushed to the live
> > server.  They just need to be able to hit that test server and look at
> > the changes they made as if they're just browsing the actual site
> > (through a browser) so we can all get a feel for what the live site will
> > also look like or behave.
>
> The best approach here is to set up virtual servers for views of the
> development working copies.  Depending on the web server, you may need
> to run these on different ports so several can co-exist on the same
> machine.  This lets development run at its own pace ahead of QA and
> different people can be working on different changes at the same time.
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx

If you use a hook that is triggered on commit, you would be able to
create a centralized testing area.  The subversion book has a few
examples that you can pull ideas from.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.reposadmin.create.html#svn.reposadmin.create.hooks

--Timothy Selivanow
/ It's very glamorous to raise millions of dollars, until it's time for the \
| venture capitalist to suck your eyeballs out.                             |
\                 -- Peter Kennedy, chairman of Kraft & Kennedy.            /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )