Re: Wise disk parting.

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 10:39 -0700, Steve Lindemann wrote:
>> hhhmmm.... now that you mention it, I do remember way *way* back using
>> 2x RAM for swap.  But we were lucky to a 1MB of RAM back then, 256K and
>> 512K was pretty common in the big servers.  Somewhere along the way, as
>> RAM size increased, I picked up the 1/2 RAM rule of thumb (probably when
>> we passed the 1MB mark) and it's worked ok for me for some while now so
>> I pretty much forgot about the 2x rule of thumb.   I wish I could blame
>> old age, but I've pretty much always had a rotten memory (probably could
>> use some swap space of my own  8^)
> ----
> how to locate problematic memory banks...
>
> linux memtest86
>
> Craig

That only works if you have an x86 processor. So I guess we are out
of luck. Besides, I have not figured out how to load it into my
brain. Another problem is that it has to be the only software
running when doing the test. I have the feeling that there would be
problems rebooting the OS after the test. Something about all that
data being stored in memory. The memory test would overwrite it, and
the reboot would probably do the same. (Hay, there are someone
memories I would be glad to lose, by not all of them.)

Mikkel