Re: Wise disk parting.

Strong wrote:
I want to get the list's advice on disk partitioning.
I have a laptop with 74Gb hdd. At the first I thought to partition it
having single partition on it - it is very useful - no need to look for
the free space of a partition - if whole disk is full then it is full -
unlike with  several partitions on it - when it is necessary to move
data from one to another just to have the necessary sum of free space.

What is the list opinions and arguments on this matter regarding what
have been said? Big thanks.

My laptop has a 60GB HDD. It has seen FCs 5, 6 & 7. A small boot parition, 15GB for root and the rest is a partition mounted on /data. Across versions, I do a full install where I leave the data partition intact. This has made upgrading almost painless and without any major backups.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218