Re: Kernel snapshots and kernel versions

On 11/6/07, Phil Meyer <pmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I this video:
> > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1742374580386548257&q=andrew+morton+linux+kernel&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0
> >
> > Andrew Morton talks about some aspects of the linux kernel. Near the
> > end of the video, he talks about how to contribute and he says that
> > both Fedora and Open Suse provide -linus snapshots of the kernel.
> >
> > I couldn't find this snapshots. Could any of you point me to the proper place?
> >
> > My second question is: How far are the Fedora kernels from the
> > equivalent Vanilla ones? Andrew says it's okay to use Fedora/Open Suse
> > kernels to report problems. Does this means that these kernels are
> > very close to the vanilla version?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> Install the rpmdevtools.
>
> Install the kernel src rpm.
>
> Go to ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES and examine the MANY kernel patches there.  How
> many are from Red Had/Fedora guys?
>
> That is what he means.
>
> Of the 408 patch files I have, 94 have contributions from RedHat.
>
> Those patch files are the difference between the main line kernel and
> the Fedora kernel.  There is not a quick way (that I know of) for you or
> I to check on how many of these patches are headed upstream, or have
> come down from upstream.

OK,

Thank you very much for the explanation. I knew about the patches but
I didn't know Andrew was meaning about them. I use to use Whitebox and
in some releases like WBEL 4 (RHEL 4 clone) the kernel was a very
strange hybrid between a 2.4 and a 2.6. My main concern to know if
there were similar things with the Fedora kernels.

Cheers