Re: [OT] Digital camara

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 10:53 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> The more pixels does translate to better printed images, and my local
> camera vendor assured me 3.2 Mp is good to about A4. Which probably
> translates to marginal to the trained eye.

I found my 4 meg camera to just about manage an A4 sized print, but only
for distance viewing, and only when the source photo was taken under
good conditions.  Close up, you could see JPEG artifacts, and artifacts
from the camera and printer (I use the local photo mini lab for my
prints) that try to sharpen the picture more than it really is.
Unfortunately they nearly all try to crispen pictures, rather than print
pictures as they are, or use a camera which has better native resolution
(that's optical and electronic, in combination), in the first place.

Nearly all electronic imaging relies on artificially peaking the
resolution.  Turn off the detail enhancement, and you think "yuck, it's
very soft," like the old soft filters used on female movie stars, even
on $20,000 cameras.  Conversely, for film, back when you could still get
your photos processed optically, and you had a decent camera, even a
moderately priced consumer camera, we had better looking prints (from
the decent labs).

Granted that enlargements tend to be viewed at a distance, and that does
hide some defects, but some are not viewed that way.  Such as family
photos sitting in a frame on the desk.  They'll probably not be A4
sized, but still can be big enough to expose some failings in the
system.  Never mind someone who wants to be arty, and do big blowups
that will have people gazing intently at them.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.