Re: downloading fc7 updates manually?

Dave Burns wrote:
This would not help me, because the machine that has access to the net
and the yum repos is not the machine that is out of date. I don't want
to expose the out-of-date machine to the net until it has been updated
(feeling paranoid). I guess I should dredge around on the yum site to
figure out how to diff the fc7 original rpms and the current rpms.
Dave

It would help. The machine needing the updates needs a list of what's available (new metadata) to produce a list of what it needs.

You can actually download on any machine, one running FreeBSD, OS X or even Windows.

fwiw the out-of-date machine is at no risk of attack by worm if it does not accept any connexions to any services: if you're not running your web server (for example), body can attack it.

If you can't stop some service, then configure it to not listen on a public address and/or configure a firewall to block it.

Preventing an attack by "invited" content - typically email and web access - is up to the clown at the keyboard. If you don't read email, and confine your web access to downloading and applying the updates, the risks are pretty tiny. If _I_ can't trust my IAP and the suppliers (and their mirrors) of my software, I best get off the 'net.