Re: Iptables port 5353 -

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:
I guess I need to continue looking into this then since anything that
reduces internet activity in my present situation is a plus.  Wildblue
has a "fair use policy," more for their benefit I suspect than for the
users, that restricts the amount of traffic through their system [5gB
up/17gB down/30 days] and I've been struggling to get this under control
recently.

Running a web caching program like Squid would help more, as long as
all the computers are configured to use it.

transparent proxy is good for ensuring they do.

You may want to add the system names/ip addresses to your hosts file
on the different systems, so you can connect by name, instead of IP
address. For Linux, it is /etc/hosts. The MAC probably uses the same
file. For Windows, it depends on the version...

Here are a few on mine. printserver is an Ethernet print server, and
brother is a Brother MFC-7820N networked all in one machine.

192.168.1.34    mary.infinity-ltd.com mary
192.168.1.100   printserver.infinity-ltd.com printserver
192.168.1.101   brother.infinity-ltd.com brother

I prefer to use my own DNS server; it works better, and is more educational.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait