Re: downloading fc7 updates manually?

On 11/5/07, Mike C <mike.cohler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>script that gets a
> list of the rpms that are security related by including a line such as :
>
> curl
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/date.html
> |grep SECURITY > rpm_seclist.out

I ended up with this:

touch updates
 echo "May
June
July
August
September
October
November"|while read month; do echo "$month";curl
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-$month/date.html|grep
SECURITY|sed "s/^.*SECURITY] //"|sed "s/<.*>//" >> updates; done

After that, updates contains both fc6 and fc7 security updates, grep
and sed can separate them:

 grep 'Fedora 7' updates |sed "s/^Fedora 7 Update: //"|sort >updates7

Then we need to grep out updates that got superceded. I can't think of
a way to do that with grep, so I guess I'll just edit the file. Then
wget in a similar loop will be able to download them all. Just need to
choose a mirror from http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/.

Thanks!

On 11/5/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If that's your problem, setting up your fire wall on that machine to not
> allow inbound connections is a pretty safe way to keep from getting rooted
> while you are doing the updates.

Unfortunately, iptables makes me go cross-eyed. Will using
system-config-securitylevel to turn off all "trusted services"
accomplish the same thing? To be totally paranoid, I guess I could
turn off ssh and sendmail etc. with /etc/init.d/sshd stop.

Can yum work in single user mode?

Thanks,
Dave