Re: RPM

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 13:54 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > > given that that book appears to have not been updated since 2000,
> > > i'd suggest that it doesn't have much value these days, given all
> > > the rpm-related developments that have happened since then.
> > >
> > > rday
> > >
> >    I take rday you know of a newer book in pdf form that we can all
> > make a book of that was written this month
>
> i'll tell you what, karl.  things will go much more smoothly around
> here if we have a clearly-defined separation of responsibilities.
> now, in *my* case, having been around fedora for years, having used
> rpm for quite some time, and having actually *owned* the
> aforementioned book in treeware form, it will be *my* job to recommend
> that it might not be worth the time or money to get into it given that
> it's seven years old and almost certainly out of date, given
> everything that's happened with rpm since then.
>
> similarly, it will be *your* responsibility to do stupid things to
> your system, complain when it breaks, then offer to write worthless,
> error-filled "tutorials" that will almost certainly inspire readers
> who take you seriously to cause untold damage to their computers.
>
> how about it, karl?  are you good with that?  does that work for you?
>
> rday

That, right there, is the best damn reading I've done in more'n'a
fortnight! Brilliant!

It's a bit unfortunate that it was Karl and not somebody else, 'cuz
there'll be a bunch swelling up and running to defences and whatnot and
the whole beauty of it will be lost. But, we can't script life, can
we...

Regardless of whose feelings may or may not be hurt, or whose shiny
armour will now be donned and brought to the frey, (or for that matter
the contents of the dozens of posts I still have yet to read), that was
a fantastic and wholly accurate vignette.

Just lovely.

And for what it's worth, the book is indeed rather aged, but the package
building side of rpm hasn't really changed so much as to make the book a
bad idea. I still thumb through mine occasionally, in fact, and was
really stoked to be able to download an e-version yesterday.
Actually, my thanks go to Karl for making me aware of its existence.

Andy