Re: send e-mail without use sendmail

Dario Lesca wrote:
Il giorno mer, 31/10/2007 alle 10.14 -0600, Frank Cox ha scritto:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:03:02 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl
I never figured out how to make that work when the ISP's mailserver requires SMTP AUTH. Not that I tried very hard, I suppose.

The SMTP server not use SMTP AUTH, is my email server, I have check this
option, I have set on internal server the smarthost option, the message
is send to smarthost (my email server) but the message, send from my
email server to destination mailserver, have the header not correctly
set (Return-Path: <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>), then my message is
reject from many mailserver.

Now I still check "email" http://www.cleancode.org/projects/email ....

You must have a real domain name to send email. That won't change even if you use a different tool to send, and most destinations will reject on that basis. If your hostname isn't set to a fully qualified internet domain, tell sendmail to rewrite the outgoing messages with your isp email address.
dnl # The following example makes mail from this host and any additional
dnl # specified domains appear to be sent from mydomain.com
dnl #
dnl MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl

And if this mail is generated as root, you'll want to comment this line with a leading dnl:
EXPOSED_USER(`root')dnl

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx