Re: [Fedora] Re: iptables: drop or reject?

Neil Cherry wrote:
I'm betting you're responding with a reset or something. Maybe it
would be a good idea to show us you're rules (you can make up
the IP's but keep them consistent).
That would not be consistent then. I used to reset in the past, and traffic wasn't anything like it is now that I drop. I'd sent a rest, I might get two or three more packets and then it would go silent. Now that I'm dropping packets (and trust me when I say I'm dropping it, I've had others try and I'm sniffed it myself, they're being dropped), traffic seems to have gotten worse. It's almost like, because I'm not sending a reset back, which would cause the sender to now have to read that packet and see that it's a reset, now they're just going into oblivion, so there's no more processing on their end, so why not keep sending? At least, that's my thinking. If I send a reset (or port/host unreachable), they have to process that before continuing...now they don't.

   I don't know...it's all a fine line I suppose.