Re: USB drive on server?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

Some years ago, someone on one of these lists - probably back in
Valhalla's time, reported clobbering his cf first time he used it.

Folk surmised it was because it was automounted with the sync option,
preventing writes from being cached.

It was a large one. Folk surmised the FAT filesystem requires lots of writes.

On the other hand, I read many reports of machines using flash drives,
particularly for things like set-top boxes and audio devices
(often based on VIA EPIA motherboards),
where I presume there are many writes.
I've never seen any kind of warning with these,
or statement about limited life.

Take a look at ipcop, it's optimised for running from flash.

There really seem very mixed messages on this.
[I'm interested in a fanless server using a flash drive -
I find the idea that there would be no moving parts attractive.]

I researched it some time ago. As I recall, expensive ones are okay, cheap ones do not do well.

_I_ would consider a notebook drive, if you have a CF-IDE adaptor, maybe a CF form factor spinning disk.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait