Re: Samba Q?

Gene Heskett wrote:

How about in a custom /etc/init.d/asmb file, so I can do a 'service asmb lappyup' and the lappy, if present on the network, will be mounted as a cifs share on /mnt/lappy? If its defined as user=somebody,passwd=somebodies-long-password in the mount.cifs command in that script, its said to be too long, and it is nearly 20 characters long. However, if I cat the line from the file, copy & paste it but without the passwd portion and exec it, it then asks me for it, and its fine with that long a passwd from the interactive shell. Why can't I put it in the script?

It appears to be an arbitrary limitation in mount.cifs. It looks to me like it'll take a password of up to 64 characters if it's specified in the credentials file, or if you specify "-o user%password", or if you specify '--password' or '-p' with a password as command line arguments, or if it's in the PASSWD environment variable. You are only limited to 17 characters if you use the '-o user=name,passwd=pass' construct. It's probably a mistake left over from the first version of that program, which was super ugly.

Since Linux doesn't protect command line arguments or environment variables from other users, I recommend using the credentials file. It should be owned by root, and mode 0400. Even if you're on a single user system now, this is a good habit to develop.