Re: not possible

Karl Larsen wrote:

    That does not sound like progress. But it sounds different and would
mean you cannot live without labels and the whole thing will be a mess
to understand.

As a matter of interest, why do you find partition labels difficult to use,
or hard to understand?

LABEL=/ used by F7 only tells me that it is a partition. I have zero information as to where it is. Replaced by "/dev/sda3" tells me exactly where it is.

It's easier to understand the problem after you have several disks that all have LABEL=/ applied by someone's fedora install and you are trying to assemble a working machine with some extra drives.

But /dev/sda3 isn't all that definitive either, especially if you sometimes boot with usb devices attached or one of the drives in your scsi chain fails or is removed and all the others shift up. I always thought that sysvr4 got it right with their controller/target/lun syntax so you could describe the physical device (/dev/c0t0l0) instead of letting the system guess.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx