Re: smartd.conf changes lost

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 07:59 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
I've noticed that smartd doesn't monitor my drives. How do I get it to
look at and monitor my two SATA drives?

I added

  /dev/sda -a
  /dev/sdb -a

to the smartd.conf file.  When I restart the smart daemon, the
smartd.conf file is rewritten without those two lines. The log file
indicates that smartd is not monitoring any drives:
[snip]

Have a look at the very top of the smart configuration file:
# *SMARTD*AUTOGENERATED* /etc/smartd.conf
# Remove the line above if you have edited the file and you do not want
# it to be overwritten on the next smartd startup.

Try following the instructions, there and further in the file, to make
your SMART daemon manually, instead of automatically, configured.  I
removed those two lines, and uncommented the DEVICESCAN option (being
lazy, and wanting to see what will happen if I plug in a removable
drive).  The messages in /var/log/messages now suggest it's monitoring
my internal drive, I haven't yet plugged in a second one.

Thanks!