Re: Samba Q?

Gene Heskett wrote:

Trying to make samba work to the f7 on my lappy fails, I had to reverse it
and link from f7 to this machine, which did work.

My main question is "How do I tell samba/cifs to allow lengthy passwords?"
Since Samba is an SMB server, and cifs an SMB client, I have no idea
which you're having problems with.  Can you describe more explicitly
what you tried to do, and in what manner it failed?

My root password is too long unless entered interactively from the
keyboard. Where is the bottleneck?
How else would you enter a password?

How about in a custom /etc/init.d/asmb file, so I can do a 'service asmb lappyup' and the lappy, if present on the network, will be mounted as a cifs share on /mnt/lappy? If its defined as user=somebody,passwd=somebodies-long-password in the mount.cifs command in that script, its said to be too long, and it is nearly 20 characters long. However, if I cat the line from the file, copy & paste it but without the passwd portion and exec it, it then asks me for it, and its fine with that long a passwd from the interactive shell. Why can't I put it in the script?

Have you tried using the credentails= variation of the command with the user and password stored in a separate file?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx