Re: NoMachines client access to Gnome on F7 (Alex)

J. Alex Aycinena:
>>>  I can't see anything in the documentation that came with the
>>> router, nor the website, to indicate whether or not it can function
>>> as a DNS.

Tim:
>> It's simple enough to test, though.  Use the dig tool.  Ask the
>> Linksys to resolve a machine name for you.
>>
>> Syntax: dig requestaddress @resolveraddress

Aaron Konstam:
> I am confused. When I do the above dig requests no ANSWER SECTION
> appears.

Two conclusions:

a:  Are you making the request to the right device (is the resolver
address the address of that device).  Try asking it to resolve the
address of something on the public internet, like google.com

    e.g. dig google.com @your-router-address

Though, I'd suspect that you are, otherwise, if you tried to dig
something that had no DNS server to answer any sort of query, you'd get
a dig result like the following:

  [tim@bigblack ~]$ dig google.com @192.168.10.10

  ; <<>> DiG 9.4.2b1 <<>> google.com @192.168.10.10
  ;; global options:  printcmd

Note the message in the last line.

b:  If you are addressing it correctly and getting no answer, then it
cannot answer your query.  And, therefore, your router doesn't include
answers for DHCP doled out addresses with its DNS server.  I've yet to
come across a cheap home modem/router that does, by the way.

Here's what happens if I ask my router to resolve a name that it doesn't
have an answer for:

  [tim@bigblack ~]$ dig fakedexample @router

  ; <<>> DiG 9.4.2b1 <<>> fakedexample @router
  ;; global options:  printcmd
  ;; Got answer:
  ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;fakedexample.                  IN      A

  ;; Query time: 209 msec
  ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)
  ;; WHEN: Sat Oct 20 08:31:58 2007
  ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 30

My router's a Billion brand one.

--