Re: Grub Manual

On 19/10/2007, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     Yes the problem is we and I have too many root directories. Grub has
> at least 2

Which ones are that? I don't see how "directories" matter. GRUB starts
from within a boot partition and later from files stored in the
file-system of a partition, which does not need to be the same than
the operating system's root partition. This start-partition is
referred to as the GRUB "root device". When somebody mounts a separate
partition on the /boot path, this does not create any kind of "root
directory". It only changes the GRUB root device and the paths to
files within the fs on that partition device. The problem you've run
into is that GRUB sees its root device as a completely independent fs.
You've noticed that the kernel/initrd files move up to a top-level
directory (you call it the "root directory" of that partition),
whereas when /boot is mounted, the files are not in any root
directory, and you need to strip off the /boot mount-point from paths
inside grub.conf. All GRUB cares about is the device id and the
absolute paths to the files. Spend some time in GRUB command  shell
with the "find" command. Devices, paths. On a system with a dozen
mountable partitions, GRUB sees a dozen potential GRUB root devices.
;) In its own terminology.

> and I am still trying to figure out what to call the
> directory you form when you install ext3 in a new partition.

That is independent from GRUB terminology. Also, it depends on where
you mount the fs and whether you mount it at all. Obviously, the fs
itself has a root directory. It's still not the same as the system's
root directory or root partition. cf. "man chroot"

> It appears
> you do not want to call it another root :-)

See above. Mount point. etc.etc. Even calling it "top-level directory"
would be misleading in the context of mounting the fs _below_ the
actual root. When you install GRUB from your grub.conf, partitions are
mounted somewhere.

> But I simply do not know
> what to call it. Maybe the first directory?

Splitting-hairs. You try to escape through a backdoor.