Re: How to crate device node in fedora 4.

techme linux wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am using fedora 4.
> I want to create a device node inside /dev/usb/ for fedora 4.
> But i just found that there is no usb directory inside /dev. But there
> is directory inside /sys/bus/usb.
> But for my embedded device I need to create a node inside /dev/usb...I
> try to create a symbolic link between /sys/bus/usb and /dev/ but then
> also i could not able to create the node inside /dev/usb  as there is
> permission problem..
>
> can anybody has idea how to create a node in /dev/usb for FC4?
>  Thank You

You need to read up on udev. On systems that use udev, there is a
virtual file system mounted on /dev with all the device nodes. Udev
takes care of creating the device nodes found there. Because it is a
virtual file system, it is created every time the system boots, so
any changes you make are lost when you reboot. So you need to create
a udev rule to create the device node for you when you plug in your
USB device.

The /sys file system is another virtual file system that contains
information about the system hardware. The udev documentation
contains information about tools to get information from it to help
you in writing your own udev rules.

Note: If you have the /sys directory tree, it is probably a safe
assumption that you are using udev.

Mikkel