Re: SELinux last straw

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

SELinux may
APPEAR to be the root cause of all your problems.  But it may only be
part of a chain reaction rooted somewhere else on your system.
SELinux may not be the cause, but perhaps the messenger, the visual
cue, the "chain" that you've now developed tunnel vision for and blame
for everything.

Turn off SELinux and you may actually be simply medicating the
symptoms, not treating the root cause.
Yes, but there doesn't seem to be an exact science here, with weekly
updates being needed that break some things for some people...

We have no evidence of that, at least not in the general fedora list.
Maybe in the fedora-testing list.

Umm, OK... I guess this thread doesn't exist.

I think there is a good argument for understanding and using the simple
traditional unix security mechanisms that have served well for the last
30 years until SELinux is stabilized to a point that it doesn't cause
surprises - especially if you run things that aren't included in the
distribution.

Please don't start this crap again.

I'll stop it when there is a methodology for someone to solve the kind of problem that Karl reports. With traditional unix security a few simple checks can determine the status and any similar problem reported to this list would have an immediate response with the fix or a test to identify the problem. With this, we not only do not have an answer, in the months this thread has continued, not only is there not a fix, no one has produced a diagnostic test to even identify the issue.

How are you supposed to determine the 'correctness' of a given setup?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx