shell variable security

I have to write some BASH scripts.

We have all heard about security problems with shell variables

(i.e. when entering a name someone enters something like "Tony; rm -rf /root/*" )

so that if the BASH scripts echoes it will will do something like echo Tony; rm -rf /root/*.

Now we have honest users here, but I still want to do some checks.  If I read in or get a shell variable from a user

I could do something like

    echo "$VAR" | grep '[^a-zA-Z/_-]'

    if [ $? -eq 0 ]

    then

        echo "You have entered a bad character"

        exit 1

   fi

but that still runs into the problem like above with the echo.  I also could do

case "$VAR" in

    \;|\:) echo "you have a bad character"

        ;;

esac

but I am not sure that is best either.  Is there anyway to validate shell variables?

I know _javascript_, etc., has something like url_encode()