Re: Kernel boot failure

At 07:49 PM 01/10/2007, you wrote:
On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 19:18 -0400, Derek C Hopkins wrote:
> Hi All
>
>          Just upgraded to FC7   using DVD  LXFdvd95  from Linux
> formst.  No problem   nor 209 updates of 210 that the system wanted
> to install but I singled out one that caused me not to be able to re-boot.
>
> The Kernal upgrade causes a problem.  when doing the required Re-boot
> it gets to the line
>
> Uncompressing Linux.... OK, Booting the Kernel.
> _
>
> and then hangs.
>

> the top line is
>
> (booting Fedora '(2.6.22.9-91.fc7)'
>

> How can I recover from this ??   (new to linux and fedora)    I can
> reload the DVD and upgrade the 209 packages  but NOT the Kernel!  it
> reboots after the 209 packages OK.
>
> Help required Please.
----
wow - way too much signature

did you check out
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f7/en_US/sn-Installer.html#Upgrade-Related-Issues

also probably of more significance, just slightly above the anchor
linked above...

5.1. Changes in Anaconda
      * Many minor user interface changes:

              * Ability to select the boot drive

              * Advanced storage options, including the ability to add
                an iSCSI target and disable dmraid devices

              * The time zone page includes a magnification slider to
                zoom into different areas of the world when choosing
                location

      * Improved Live images support

      * Ability to install from Live image running from RAM or USB stick

      * Improved IEEE-1394 (Firewire) support

      * Improved installation for Sony PlayStation 3

      * French keyboard layout uses latin9

      * Improved kickstart installation

      * Use of /dev/hdX is deprecated on i386 and and x86_64 for IDE
        drives, and has changed to /dev/sdX except on PPC. See note
        about the importance of labeling devices for upgrades from FC6.

This last point is probably very significant for you

--
Craig White <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>