Re: Accidentally removed important packages

pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello All,

Thank you in advance.

I know that I should have been more careful, but I don't
know what to do now.

I ran into a version conflict over libstdc++ where I needed to downgrade
to an older version.

When I removed the package (carelessly, I know) it removed some 311
dependencies including:

grub
initscripts
hal
passwd
rpm
yum

and a bunch of other really important things.

Is there any way to salvage this using the rescue CD, or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Boy! You really did it. Of course you can't boot up your ruined system. Here is what I would do if faced with it. With RESCUE I would make a new partition with fdisk and then mkfs.ext3 and then mount both this and your old system. You will need to make 2 places to mount them to.

Now use #cp -a /home /where the partition is mounted. I did this on mine and so far 3 months it is perfect. Of course if you already did this your ahead of the game.

Now I would use the F7 DVD and upgrade the broken with a new one but be careful not to delete the old system. With lock it will all come out good.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User