Re: basic question about assigning ip address

Jacques B. wrote:
[snip]

With the way you were using it and still want to use it you don't need
a gateway/router.  All you'd need is a switch (or hub if security
between your two machines is not an issue) between your ADSL modem and
your PCs.  One that supports wireless.

I would love to find a nice switch or hub that supports wireless - any suggestions would be most welcome.

But again if your ISP has imposed a limit on the number of IP
allocated to a customer then your first machine connecting will get an
IP but not the second one.

Do you notice that?  Is it the first machine to go live that gets the
IP regardless if your Windows box or your Fedora box?  If so then what
I described herein is quite likely your problem.

Jacques B.

I'm virtually certain they haven't withdrawn any of my IP addresses - I got them a long, long time ago & I'm pretty sure nothing has changed since then -