Re: Kernel RPM

On Friday 28 September 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     Talk the past days tell me that a kernel rpm has within all the
> things it needs to operate AUTOMATICALLY. Now this makes moving F7 from
> one place to another kind of easy. You can dd the whole thing over and
> of course it will not work, kernel panic and then with a Rescue CD you
> can load the new kernel and it will all work again.
>
>     What is wrong with this idea?

It may not work.  The mkinitrd process would need /etc/modprobe.conf to be
edited to match the new hardware/module configuration prior to rerunning
mkinitrd (whether by hand or in the kernel %post scriptlet doesn't matter),
or command line parameters have to be supplied to mkinitrd to match the
modules you need to load.  See my previous message in a different thread,
last couple of paragraphs, for a specific example.

When anaconda prepares your system for its first boot, it does a lot more than
just run mkinitrd.  The grub configuration is just as critical as the initrd
is.  Flagging the /boot partition as 'active' is too.

Like in tuning antennas, you need to engage in some trial and error to make
sure it really does work  the way you think it should.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer