Re: update fails.

CS wrote:
Trying to follow the update announcement in Fedora c6 for 4 packages
(xml-commons, jdom, velocity and xerces-j2) updates the update fails.
Dependencies state xml-commons= 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 to be missing. It
is not missing but the name is slightly different.
Sometimes the mirror accessed by yum/pup might not yet have an rpm to download, even though the repo metadata has been updated.

 I removed the package and re-installed. The problem is that on
resolving dependencies it gives an error, and in "details" it says:
missing dependency: xml-commons = 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 is needed by
package xml-commons-apis.

The file actually installed by package xml-commons-apis is
xml-commons-1.3.02-0.b2.7pp.10.i386.rpm. This file came with Eudora c6
install CD's.
This is -apis dependency. Installing dependencies is normal.

You see the slight difference at the beginning of the file, ie = 0:
instead of -
The 0: is called an epoch. It can be used by rpm packagers to allow a newer package to install an older version, even when the version-release of the package would actually be older than the currently installed one.

I guess this is the cause of the failed dependency.
To see what versions you have installed:
rpm -qa xml-\*

To see whats avail:
yum list xml-*

I sought for the file  ml-commons = 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10 in the
repositories but could not find it.
Is that version really available:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/

The problem is that these failing updates remain appearing between the
other updates and have to be skipped each time.
I'm not sure about the current state of FC6, but I previously used the yum-skip-broken plugin, and yum --skip-broken update This allows updates that don't have unresolved dependencies to complete, and leaves the others for later. This assumes that if it is a fedora reposotory problem, that it actually gets fixed.

How to solve? Should the update be debugged?
Yes:  yum -d 15 update  will help others work out what the problem is.

DaveT.