Re: How to mount a dos floppy ?

On 9/20/07, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

>> How do I mount an old dos floppy without making additions to fstab?
>> I assume there is a proper way to do this since an icon comes up on
>> the desktop when I plug the disk in to the drive but it can't deal
>> with the file system apparently and refuses to mount.  I don't know
>> the magic incantation for the command line.
>>
>> I have a few disks I need to extract text [.doc] files from.
>>
>> Bob Goodwin
>>
> mount /dev/fd0 -t vfat /media   Works but it dumps all the files in /media.

It is preferable to use

mount /dev/fd0 -t msdos /path/to/empty/directory/for/mount/point

Note that vfat and msdos are NOT the same. For use with old
MSDOS formatted discs, msdos is preferable.

Mike
--

Gents,
is the /etc/floppy file needed for /dev/fd0 to work?

But even after executing the command in FC7 I could not format the floppy
using /dev/fd0, I had to use
       # fdformat /dev/fd0u1440.

Please note that the file /dev/fd0 did exist. Any comments appreciated.
~Aldo.