Re: smartd message

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 08:21:36 -0700,
  don vogt <donvogt2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  1. Am I right, that I don't have a big problem
> (yet?)?

That depends on where the unreadable sector is. If it is in the middle of
an important file it could cause you problems. You can use smartctl
to get the sector number.

As for whether or not you should replace the disk, that is up to you. Even
one bad block indicates the failure rate of this disk is several times that
of a similar disk without any reallocated sectors. If you had infinite
money you would want to replace the disk.

>  2. Is there some way to make the message stop, short
> of disabling smartd on that disk?

The default for most things is that you only get one warning message. You
could look at /etc/smartd.conf and see if the options there cause some
other behavior. "man smartd.conf" will tell you what the options do.