Re: verizon california and DHCP leases

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Peter Arremann wrote:
On Friday 14 September 2007, Skunk Worx wrote:
It seems to assign a single DHCP IP address to a mac address, then holds
it across reboots, shutdowns, etc.
What model cable modem do you have? Anyway, most of the time it works when you unplug all cables from your cable modem and keep it like that for at least 5 minutes. After that, try again.
Peter.

I have had good luck with just powering them down for 30-60 seconds,
and then powering them back up.

Mikkel

Not for this thing...Westell Wirespeed Model B90-210015-04

It's supposed to be true ether as opposed to PPoE.

My tests show a "dhclient -r eth1" on F7 releases the ip, as does "ipconfig set en0 BOOTP" on mac osx.

Just shutting down doesn't work, nor 5 minutes off, nor 30 minutes off.

The modem has a small reset button on the back, I tried depressing that before and after power-off/on (10 secs) and that didn't work either.

The software commands seem to be the only way to release, that or perhaps a longer wait time (hour?).

I had a machine smoke last year and had to call into their help center for this, not knowing any better, they did something on their end (I just heard clicks) to reset it.

---
John