Re: Gnome-panel grief in F7 -- 2nd stray thought

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:12:49 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:
[...]
> 	Or am I/we (if others' problems resemble mine) going to have to
> do yet another clean install, another whole vast mass of tweaks from
> scratch instead of using the tarball, and then -- if whatever gods there
> be, be kind -- make a new tarball with the -h switch, and do only tar -
> czfh henceforth?
>
> 	If I/we do slog through the whole blasted nine yards, will it
> work? Is it worth trying? I'm getting *very* tired of all this ...

	On the present hypothesis, the trouble is in the tarball. (Fwiw,
one reason I think it may be is that my use of scp is still bothersome,
with a variety of false starts -- but always seems to accomplish what I
want, eventually.)

	Then what about this? Given one acceptable mass of tweaks from
scratch to a fresh install, why not just scp all of /home/btth from that
machine to another fresh install on the next one? Would it even require
becoming root, and doing all the chowning, untarring, etc.?

	It might slow both machines down substantially for quite a while;
but I (and, doubtless, most others with the problem) could simply spend
that while getting by with machine #3. And the next stage, after
reinstalling F7 for the third time, need tie up only #2 and #3, with #1
-- the main machine -- free as usual. And stable.

	Incidentally, what do upgrades, as opposed to fresh installs, do
to symlinks??