Re: Fedora 7 telnet-server problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
John Wendel wrote:
I don't have it installed, but isn't telnet usually started by xinetd?
 So, "chkconfig telnet on" won't do anything?  Or does it modify the
xinetd conf file?

It modifies the file with the matching name in the /etc/xinet.d
directory. It changes the "disable = yes" to "disable = no". You can
check it on one of the services provided by xinetd. Look at the
discard-stream file. Then run "chkconfig discard-stream on" and see
how it changed.

Also, from the chkconfig man page:
chkconfig also can manage xinetd scripts via the means of xinetd.d
configuration files.  Note that only the on, off, and --list
commands are supported for xinetd.d services.

Mikkel

Thanks for the informative reply, sorry for the noise, I should have RTFM. I don't normally run xinetd, but it looks like I'll need it soon.

Regards,

John