Re: Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Ed Greshko wrote:

I don't get it. I thought you said they weren't experienced with Fedora.
 Are they or aren't they?

They are experienced enough to know that experimenting with Fedora is not
valuable when making the decision to go with RHEL.

Do you have a problem with the English language?

I guess so. I thought having experience with and experimenting with meant rather different things. And I was asking about the value of a person having experience.

What do you mean by 'know not to compare'?  FC3 and FC6 were virtually
identical to the cuts of RHEL at the corresponding times give or take an
 application version or two.  If you are considering a deployment on an
upcoming RHEL release, fedora is as close as you are going to get to
that code base for testing prior to the release.

We are not talking about days gone by are we?  I don't live in the past.
But, maybe you do.

I think we can learn from the past - and from experience.

It seems you think everyone should be a sysadmin?
Not at all.  I'm saying that no one should need to be a sysadmin because
the distribution should be usable as is.   That fact that this concept
seems foreign to you shows just how badly those distributions miss the
mark. And everyone certainly shouldn't need to be sysadmins on wildly
differing distributions just to be able to use linux on both their
desktops and their servers.

They are usable as is.  However, in a large enterprise, one size does not
fit all.

What size does firefox 1.x fit? Those that live in the past? I'm missing why a current and widely used version of a free application would be good in one place but not in another assuming, of course, that it is not something likely to crash the machine.

 Also, in the clients I've worked with, the end user does not even
install their own OS.  This goes for both the Linux users as well as the
Windows users.

None of that is really relevant to the point of someone having to essentially rebuild a distribution.

When it comes to Linux the client uses kickstart to provision a system for a
new hire.  The kickstart profile is based on the new hires job function.  I
could go on to explain to you how things are done....but I get the feeling
you won't get it...or will maintain that the IT folks are stupid for doing
it whatever way they have decided to do it.

Not at all, automation is a good thing.

I'm sure the fact that adopting these methods has allowed them to increase
productivity while reducing costs will be of little interest or value in
your way of thinking.

Never mind.

Wouldn't it reduce costs even more if the IT dept you mentioned that was replacing app versions in the distribution didn't have to do that?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx