Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

nVidia themselves are doing more work for
the Linux version since they can't count on a stable interface.
And Windows has a stable interface?  Again, I refer you to Vista.
It is stable for many years at a time.

So are certain Linux distributions.  It depends what you want.

I want applications that aren't years out of date, with a kernel that doesn't break the drivers regularly with updates. I haven't found such a distribution yet.

Fedora could redistribute the driver as provided by nVidia but
chooses not to.
If they were willing to have hidden code they're legally unable to
modify.
Or if they cared about their user experience...

Right, I'm sure Fedora developers want to spite their users.

Maybe it's just a side effect that no one cares about then. RHEL seems to care enough to break things less often.

Firewire is still a good example.

Don't know what you're talking about, so I'll guess.  Linux supports
1394b, but Vista doesn't
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire#Operating_system_support)?

I don't know anything about Vista and will wait until it is stable before finding out. Try depending on the fedora version. It regularly goes months at a time with various parts broken. I've never had trouble on a Mac.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx