Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 15:51:34 -0600
Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So far the nVidia video card on my motherboard has been the one biggest
> head acke in this computer. It is wonderful with Windows I hear but it
> sucks on Linux. Had I known....

I think you were on this mailing list during the big discussion with Lonnie
Freeman (a Nvidia employee, apologist and sycophant who hangs around
this mailing list) a month or two back when he was caught deliberately lying; he
disappeared immediately afterward for a while hoping, I guess, that everyone
would forget about it.

The upshot of that discussion came down to the fact that Nvidia is not
recommended for use on a Linux system due to the closed-source and hence
single-source and limited technical support and investigation facilities that
can be brought to bear on problems.

ATI suffers from the same problems at the moment, but it appears that this will
be dealt with.

If you're interested and you missed it, I'd imagine you can find a record of
that discussion on one of the sites that archives this list.

At the moment, if you want good out-of-the-box full-featured support for your
video card on Linux, your choice is pretty much limited to an Intel video
chipset.  Unfortunately, they appear to be sold only as an integrated part of a
motherboard; there don't appear to be any stand-alone Intel video cards.

That's what makes this news from ATI is so interesting.