Re: OT: Acrobat Reader needs plugin?

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 22:25 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 20:13 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >
> >>I have some PDFs which Acrobat claims needs the "file open" plugin.
> >>Does anyone know what this is, what it does, and why Acrobat Reader
> >>wants me to get it?
> >

> > Coincidentally, the Numerical Recipes Web page I referred to in another
> >
> > http://www.nr.com/plugin/plugin_install.html
>
> Not a coincidence :-)
>
> And, tcpdump showed attempts to look up the website being done.
> They failed. I had inadvertently ;-> pulled the DSL out of the
> modem before trying to open the file. Using other than Acrobat
> resulted in "this file is encrypted, please enter the password".
> Also, a hidden directory ~/.fileopen with NumericalRecipes got
> installed, along with another binary file. Apparently, someone
> is trying to track opens to those files.

I went to the site and looked at the plugin installation page, then
followed a couple of links to some discussion on the subject.  They are
using DRM, but not calling it that.  I will cease recommending anything
from Cambridge press from here on out.  Sorry guys.  I detest a company
that thinks everyone is ripping them off (even if it is happening to
some degree, I purchased the book, and I do not want anyone snooping
about on my system or reading habits.  Frankly, it is none of their
business.  I think a civil suit for peeping should be appropriate to
such organizations. Just my opinion.

	However for now, my censureship will be that I will email my friends
and tell them what the plugin does and to avoid it.  YMMV.

Regards,
Les H