Re: How to modify xorg.conf from command line in rescue console (F7)

Bo Berglund wrote:
I am trying to install Fedora 7 in VirtualPC 2007 and I have gotten to
the first restart after the install has completed.
At this point one must boot the dVD in rescue mode in order to change
xorg.conf so that the default color depth is not 24 (can be anything
but 24 but this particular value is incompatible with VPC2007).

So I was adviced to do it this way, however they did not tell me *how*
one can edit a file in Linux....
Using more I can see that the file is set for 24 bit depth and I just
need to change that to 16 and I'm done.

(Forgot to say that I am a Windows user, completely green at Linux...)

Detailed instructions on how to start a command line editor for this
file would be appreciated as well as how to save and exit from it.

Bo Berglund

When you mount your system to the rescue linux you can then change directory cd to the /etc/X11 directory on your new linux. There you will see xorg.conf. You can edit this file with joe which I use. It is a wordstar ascii editor that is very good. To save changes use ctr-k x. However looking in mine I see no way to change the number of colors. But you can read the man page. In a linux Terminal type man xorg.conf and you will get all you wanted to know. Setting screen depth and such is near the last section in the man pages.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User