Here is what worked for years: The Grub was on disk hd0 and Linux was on hd0,0 thru 6 and hd1,0 thru 7. The BIOS could find all the Linux /boot/grub/ without fail.
   Now I have just one hard drive all set in the BIOS setup and I went
up in the F7 Rescue cd and told grub the following:
Grub> root (hd0,5)
Grub> setup (hd0)
Grub> quit

This worked according to the written info from grub. But It would not work. I would get a bios error.
   So I installed FC6 basic in the (hd0,0) partition and it worked
fine. Then I added the directions to this F7 and of course Grub found
it. Here I am again on the old computer.
--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User