Xen, QEMU/KVM or Vmware ?

Being quite keen on the concept of virtualisation, I find myself in a
bit of a quandary with F7.

Being one who needs an uptodate kernel (my laptop power does funny
things with older ones) I can't run Xen because the kernels are too
old. Therefore I have QEMU/KVM or Vmware.

Though the F7 documents talk lightly about QEMU being all part of the
Virtual Machine Manager, it isn't really; the resulting systems are
slow, refuse to boot off valid ISO images and have no configuration
options for networking. They don't even use the system CDROM until you
specifically add it after the virtual machine is built. So I use
qemu-kvm on the command line; not that the Fedora documents mention
that option - thank heaven for Google!

But I also see that others are choosing Vmware server to virtualise
guests, and I wonder why. qemu-kvm is pretty good and fairly fast, so
I'm really asking why people choose to use a 3rd party system instead;
is it faster?

Coupled with that: is the virtual machine manager going to work
properly with QEMU/KVM one day, or are the developers all assuming
we'll go for Xen? And if the latter, when might we get an Xen kernel
that's uptodate?

Enquiring minds want to know.

JDL