Re: Bios freaks

Chris Jones wrote:
if the BIOS is the problem where it can't read past a certain point of
the disk at boot time.  Couldn't you simply create a /boot partition and
put it in an area that the BIOS can handle?  the beginning of the disk
(?)??

Indeed. This is *the* standard well known solution to this problem (well, obviously not that well know it seems ;) )

Well, it is something that after 20 years of BIOS one would think is overcome. I also take exception to the note that some things aren't well known. I am sure there is tons of stuff that you don't know and shame on those who make fun about that fact.

Also, "Couldn't you simply create a /boot partition" isn't a five minute job when one has existing partitions that are in use and have data on them. There are tools that can push partitions around, but unless one buys the expensive ones they often don't do the trick.

It is just sad that this booting problem is still an issue with quad core desktop processors and what have not. One would think that basic things such as booting are handled in a much smarter way.

David