Re: Mythtv Backend Init Script?

> The mythbackend init script available from atrpms.net does not setup
> $HOME when the script is run at boot time. This means that $HOME
> defaults to / which is why you end up with /.mythtv/ entries in the
> filesystem.
>
> The updated scripts in MythTV SVN
> (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts)
> have been updated to daemonise mythbackend with a user (defaults to
> root, see below) so that the MythTV config entries are created/read at
> init time for a real user.
>
> When starting mythbackend from a terminal, $HOME is already configured
> and so mythbackend uses $HOME/.mythtv/. This is the reason you can end
> up with separate MythTV configurations in /, /root/ and /home/mythtv/
> if you also run mythfrontend as the user 'mythtv'
>
> The reason the atrpms.net scripts do not use the daemonise 'user'
> option is due to the lack of the audio and video groups on Fedora.
> mythbackend requires access to the AV hardware when it starts and by
> default on Fedora, only the root user has access to this. A user needs
> to amend their installation's console permissions/udev scripts to
> allow non-root users the access to the capture hardware they require
> to allow mythbackend to run as another user.
>
> --
> Nick
Thanks, I read the comment inside the mythbackend init script from the
atrpms package about the user issue, but I could not locate any in
depth explanation about it.

Now I can google for the udev/console perms for myth and maybe find
the needed information.

Again thanks for the explanation.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at